Set to celebrate the efforts of budding filmmakers who have gone out of their way to make films with readily available technology, the My Kenya My Story Mobile Phone Film Competition is one of the Kenya Film Commission’s commitments to growing the film industry focused on the application of affordable technology in telling stories. The competition focuses on short Kenyan films shot exclusively using phones to power the growth of the local film industry countrywide with affordable ways to film using a smartphone other than using high-end equipment to create a bigger capacity in trading.
The theme of this year’s 6th edition of My Kenya My Story Mobile Phone Film Competition was to promote peace, tolerance, and conflict resolution in line with the government’s agenda of educating the Kenyan public on the importance of promoting dialogue centered approach to conflict prevention and resolution and establishing a culture of peace and tolerance.
To better clarify the requirements and qualifications of the competition, Ledama Sempele, Film Producer and the competition’s panel chairperson revealed that 117 films were submitted countrywide which had to meet the following requirements.
- Complete and signed application form
- A filming certificate from the commission
- A suitable format to view the film
- Behind the Scenes materials
Contrary to the requirements, some non-compliance was observed.
- Missing application forms
- Some submission forms were submitted but not signed
- Submissions deviating from the competition’s theme
- Government regulatory certificate lacking during submission
To create ensure high-quality submissions from future applicants, it was announced that the commission has collaborated with international partners to.
- Organize workshops for applicants
- Offer post production masterclasses
- Ensure applications inhabit good technological appliances
- Partner with the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) to uphold peace and teamwork among applicants
Panel Chairperson, Ledama Sempele was assisted by a group of jury members namely Sirus Wanjohi, Charity Macharia, Jane Njoroge, Jane Kago, John Kyallo, John Thenya, and Saka Were.
I urge the commission to keep up such initiatives that gives the youth something worth holding on to which will in turn keep them away from violence and vices
Words from veteran actor and current CEC of public service administration, youth, sports, gender, and social services Mombasa County, Kenneth Ambani, who applauded the commission’s efforts in fanning the flames of budding filmmakers and the progress made in the film industry since the days of his hit television series, Tausi.
International partnerships with Israel and South Africa, the creation of film hubs, and the creation of an accreditation and certification program to professionalize the film sector are the announcements made by the Kenya Film Commission CEO Timothy Owase to further highlight the commission’s efforts in scaling the film sector to new heights.
I am reliably informed that in this year’s edition, there was an increase in number of emerging filmmakers. I encourage the commission to intensify capacity building initiatives as this to nurture more talent and bridge any skills gap in the industry.
Secretary Administration – State Department of Youth Affairs and arts, Raymond Ochieng
Chief guest, Secretary Administration State Department of Youth Affairs, Sports and Arts, Raymond Ochieng gave a speech on behalf of the Cabinet Secretary of Youth Affairs, Sports and Arts, Ababu Namwamba highlighting the ministry’s effort in standing side by side with the commission’s initiatives with programs such as the Talanta Hela Initiative being launched the same day. Raymond Ochieng applauded the zeal, commitment, and enthusiasm of young filmmakers in the country who use whatever little they have to tell soul-stirring stories.
13 out of 117 submissions were selected for the public to vote, 80% vetting was done by the jury and the other 20% was decided by the public. From the 13, 4 were awarded cash prizes in the following categories.
- Jury Mention – Olive Branch by Maureen Mureithi
- 2nd runners up – The Concord by Brian Nabiswa
- 1st runners up – Post Ndogo by Ireene Wairimu Githinji
- 6th edition My Kenya, My Story Mobile Phone Film Competition Winner – The Epiphany by Scolastica Thitai
For more pictorial moments visit, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=SanaaPost&set=a.671237681685540
For masterclasses on Arts, Visit https://academy.sanaapost.com/